Friday, July 10, 2009

It takes two...

I don't ever watch TV. No really, I don't. I don't even own a TV, let alone pay for cable or whatnot. But I find when I do catch a few minutes of it here or there, whether in the break-room at work or while waiting for my oil to get changed, I find myself almost appalled by what I see. First of all, all the political jargon...I could definitely live without watching that. It's like there are constantly two forces fighting against each other. Republicans and Democrats. I mean, really, can't we just agree on something? Then you see all the celebrities who are supposed to have this glamerous lifestyle but end up being ruined by fame. John and Kate for instance...now splitting up, because fame has left them discontent with who they are and what they are, and now 8 kids have to go through a really messy divorce.

It just gets me all depressed.

So I don't watch.

It's not like I'm in denial. Like I put on my rose tinted glasses and go through life as a Pollyanna. No. I know its out there. I know there's a constant battle between good and evil, between democrats and republicans, I know that fame and fortune can ruin anyone.

I just don't need to watch it.


None of that stuff should change who I am or how I live my life. The only thing it might do is distract me from the stuff that is really important. Some statistic said that on average American's spend 5 hours a day watching TV. 5 hours? Really?

Imagine if those 5 hours a day were spent cleaning up the cities, or helping the homeless, or even playing with your kids.

Just imagine that.

I'm not judging. Really the main reason I don't have a TV is because I know how easy it would be for me to spend 5 hours a day in front of it.

So I find myself wondering tonight...why we are so infatuated with turmoil? Why can't we keep our eyes off all the miss-happenings of this world?

Is it because we were created to help fix it?

And if we were created to help make sense and order out of all the mess in our world why do we find ourselves as mere "gawkers" and spectators? Are we paralyzed by fear? Fear of failure? Fear of not having the right resources or not knowing what to do?

What's keeping us from playing the game?




No comments: